Thursday, March 18, 2010

Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy

Having seen the new Alice in Wonderland movie on opening night, I was inspired by the viewing to pursue other Wonderland related forms of entertainment. As well as memorizing the Jabberwocky poem, I've indulged myself in a collection of philosophical comparisons and similes appropriately named: Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy. Every chapter is written by a different person, each one taking their own perspective of different aspects of the infinitely meaningful aspects of Alice's adventures.

The most interesting section, for me so far, has been the elaboration on the White Queen's idea of, "Jam tomorrow, jam yesterday, but never jam today." A fellow by the name of Mark D. White, expands this idea from jam to life in general. He writes that people look forward to things with joy, and look back on them with joy, even if the individual experiences within what they enjoyed were bad. The value of the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

It's all very interesting. I look forward to seeing what other ideas the book holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment